Saturday, February 14, 2015

Kirti's Shoot

Kirti had given me certain responsibilities related to the art and props. Soumee had asked me the previous day to help her out with the lighting. We have begun to function much better as a team. I could clearly figure out what I used to miss out on earlier. I quickly shared the work on art and props among me, Jubaraj & Himel. After I had done my part started speaking to Soumee about the lights. It was a scene set in the morning. a young couple were having breakfast.

I put up a 1K right across the window to, not at too great a height. A shaft of morning sunlight spread across the room, up to the wall behind the breakfast table. The rest of the room was still dark. I looked up. The set did not have any roof. The daylight that bounces off the roof uniformly all across the room could only be done by hanging a schemer. But we were losing a lot of time. For the rest of the room I tried bouncing lights off the walls, and thermocol reflectors. I made sure the light stands were all out of the camera's sight.

We covered most of the shots at a comfortable pace. No one felt disengaged. There was enough to do for all of us. Jubaraj was recording sound today. Ashok & Sumana were acting. Himel even pushed the trolley, that too with Soumee on it!!!

Kirti had thought of a track shot, which she kept for the very end. That was the most challenging part for me. The shot would expose the whole room, even the bedroom that can be seen through the door to it. I had lit separately for all the shots, keeping in mind only two things; f/5.6, and the lighting continuity. I took it up as a challenge. I created a similar patch of sun for the bedroom; a 1K outside the window exactly at the same distance, height and angle as the one for the living room. And bounced a dinky off a thermocol reflector. But for the living room, I got desperate. I put two 1K's on two ends of the tracks. One bouncing in through left, the other through right. Mr. Tanmay, who was then busy in a conversation with the HOD of the Dept. of Cinematography, called me up. I looked back at the room. The morning sun was in Sumana's face. Good I thought. Mr. Tanmay pointed out Ashok could not be seperated from the background. I shamelessly told him I never thought of it. He reminded me, "Backlight..."

I was lost in thought. How would I come up with the backlight for Ashok? I can't place a light on that side of the room. Mr. Tanmay reminded me, "Cat walk..." I asked the light boy to get up on the cat walk. I passed him a dinky. It was too bright. A couple of nets. Voila!!

No comments:

Post a Comment